Thursday, January 7, 2016

Basque Prep Wears: Airport in Winter

Kaixo everyone,

To start with 2016, I will like to start with a new series: The Basque Prep Wears series! Dude, super original. I know, I know it's not the most original name. But I can showcase what I like to wear in different situations with a little bundle of essential pieces.

Now, before I go on with the current edition of Basque Prep Wears, have you all read the book Classy by Derek Blasberg? Yeah, that Tiffany blue book on how to be a lady in a world of excessive spray tanning and general bitchiness? If you haven't, do yourself a favor and get it ASAP:

Buy it here
When I bought it 5 years ago (jeez time flies), I remember that my favorite parts were the pictures comparing the "lady" and the "tramp" outfits for different occasions. One of them was the airport edition:

Apart from its hilarity, it gave me some ideas on what to wear to the airport without looking like an absolute idiot. However, since my traveling is mostly limited to going from Champaign back to the Basque Country and vice versa, the packing part is completely different from those Hermès bags (I mean, I wish I had those, but my actual packing is long enough for another post) and I have to think about which clothes take most space in my suitcase to wear it while traveling.


Clockwise from top left: Tee: Mango (on sale!) // Boots: Zara (similar) // Coat: Zara // Tee: Gap // Jeans: Topshop // Head wrap: Zara // Necklace: Forever 21 // Slip-ons: Steve Madden // Earrings: Tory Burch // Sweater: Zara // Yoga pants: Lululemon

One word: Comfort. And what is comfort for me when traveling overseas in the cold months of winter? Cotton tees with cute travel motifs and long pants (either jeans or yoga pants), paired with boots (usually my heaviest shoes) or if I'm not taking boots with me, easy to combine, easy to remove in the usual TSA screening, white sneakers. In order to keep my head warm, a nice head wrap or beanie is coming with me. Accessory wise, I keep my earrings simple but I carry my heaviest necklace with me to give my otherwise simple outfit an interesting touch.

Another very important piece for when I travel is a scarf that can keep my neck, head and/or body warm! One of my worst memories ever was a flight from Phoenix to Seattle where I kept coughing and sneezing and I felt like dying. I wish I had a scarf then, but I was young, inexperienced and dumb. Since my outfit is usually made of simple garments, I try to choose a bold scarf to make it pop!
From left to right: Zara // Kate Spade // Lilly Pulitzer

Bright and bold, just like moi! While I like my outfit choices to be as stylish as possible, sometimes it's just plain difficult, considering I have to carry a massive backpack with books and miscellanea and my suitcase as well, and it gets hot and sweaty no matter the weather or the cold, so I usually pack my coat and my scarf in my backpack and bring them out when I'm feeling cold. Like I said, comfort is key when traveling, specially when traveling for more than 15 hours!

What do you wear when you travel? Any Basque Prep Wears edition you would be interested in seeing? Sound off below! :)
Love,

- Ane

2 comments: